Tasty Tuesday...on Wednesday

I totally intended to post this on Tuesday, and then stuff got all in the way. So here's a new Tasty Tuesday-ish. 

I stole this recipe, I'll admit. Actually, I steal most of my recipes. But I try to give credit!

This was on Pinterest as Chicken & Lime soup from budgetbytes.com. It was Paleo without even trying. But I made some adjustments, and it really reminds me so much of a chicken tortilla soup (without the tortillas) and is one of my new favorites. I didn't know it was going to be, so I didn't take step-by-step photos...Go to this link if you need to see that kind of detail. It's really easy.


As with most of my recipes, the amounts here can be scaled up or down depending on how much you want. I love leftovers, so I keep that in mind when I'm making soups. 

Okay, what you need:
chicken breasts - I used about a pound, and they were frozen when I put them in
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
onion, diced, about a cup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced, seeds removed
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 lime
Avocado

Here's where I deviated from the original recipe:
2 cans Rotel
4 cups chicken broth
I changed it from the original because I wanted a little more heat. You could easily replace one can of Rotel with more broth to tone it down. Or you could use a can of Rotel and a can of regular diced tomatoes. The original calls for 6 cups of broth, but that was way more than I wanted. 

Saute the celery, onion, garlic, and jalapenos in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, broth, tomatoes, and spices. Get the "soupiness" the way you want it, then put the lid on and simmer about an hour. 

Remove the chicken breast(s) carefully, and shred using two forks. Return to the pot, and add the juice of 1 lime. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Rough chop the cilantro and add to the soup, stir, and serve. Garnish with a few pieces of avocado.

I happened to make this on boot camp night when RDub wasn't going to be around while it cooked. He turned it off after the hour, and I got home about 30 minutes later. That's when Shredded the chicken and did the last additions. I think the flavors just settled in that 1/2 hour or so, but this was sooooo good. And hot. Don't forget the hot. Not unbearable by any means, but keep the amount of Rotel down if you're kind of a chicken that way. 

There ya have it! Paleo friendly Spicy Chicken & Lime soup!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All the food!

Cheese, glorious cheese.

B f l Day 11: Let's talk TV.